Parsippany Dog Bite Attorney
Many people treat their dogs like children. The thought never crosses their mind that their dog could bite someone and cause major injuries. But it could happen at any time. A dog of any size and of any breed could become provoked and bite someone, whether it be a child, adult, or senior citizen. If you or a loved one has been a victim, let a Parsippany dog bite attorney from The Law Offices of Michael P. Burakoff, P.A. assess your case and help you understand the law.
Avoid Risky Situations
Not all dog bites can be prevented. However, dogs are not approachable at all times and there are some situations in which you should not interact with dogs. Teach your children and other members of your family to avoid petting a dog in risky situations such as the following:
- The dog is by itself, without its owner.
- The owner does not give permission to pet the dog.
- The dog is on the other side of a fence.
- The dog is playing with a toy.
- The dog is injured or sick.
- The dog is eating or sleeping.
- The dog is caring for her puppies.
- The dog is growling or barking.
What Damages Can I Receive?
If you are bitten by a dog, the owner will be held liable for your damages. You can receive compensation for the following:
- Medical bills. A dog bite can require significant medical treatment (such as surgeries, physical therapy, and medications) that can easily cost six figures. Treatment may even be required in the future, so you’ll need to be able to estimate the cost so you can get properly reimbursed.
- Property damage. It is possible for your property to get damaged in a dog attack. For example, your clothes could get torn or the dog could rip a necklace off. The dog could also chew up a purse or phone. You could receive reimbursement for any property damaged in a dog attack.
- Scarring/disability. A dog bite can cause scars and even disability if a bone gets broken or a limb gets amputated. An eye injury can lead to blindness. A victim can also suffer nerve damage. These injuries can negatively impact a person’s quality of life for a long time. You can receive compensation for these injuries, but coming up with the amount of money can be difficult.
- Emotional damages. You can receive compensation for anxiety, depression, and other psychological issues caused by a dog attack.
Contact a Parsippany Dog Bite Attorney
Dog bites can be costly to treat. Plus, they can take a long time to heal. If you or a loved one has been affected, make sure you seek medical and legal help.
The Parsippany dog bite attorneys at The Law Offices of Michael P. Burakoff, P.A. understand the law. We have decades of experience handling dog bite claims and can help you fight the insurance companies for the most compensation possible. Call our office at (973) 455-1567 to schedule a free consultation today.