Florham Park Dog Bite Attorney
Most dogs are friendly and loving, but if provoked, they can suddenly attack, causing severe injuries and death, especially to children and the elderly. These injuries can be long-term and costly, so it’s important that you seek financial compensation for your damages. Seek legal help from a Florham Park dog bite attorney from the Law Offices of Michael P. Burakoff, P.A.
Types of Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bites can range in severity from minor nips from a teething puppy to full-on attack that ends in fatality. Some common injuries include the following:
- Puncture wounds
- Back and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Eye injuries
- Nerve damage
It’s also important to understand that dog bites can cause various infections. Some common ones include the following:
- When people think of dog-related infections, rabies is the one that often comes to mind. However, most dogs have been vaccinated against this disease, so it’s not too common. You should still look for flu-like symptoms, itchiness at the bite site, insomnia, abnormal behavior, anxiety, and confusion.
- This is another common infection caused by bacterial contamination. This one can cause muscle spasms and make your jaw lock up. It can also cause muscle pain, difficulty swallowing, seizures, fever, headache, and sweating.
- MRSA is a difficult infection to treat, since it is a superbug that is resistant to many antibiotics. It can cause blisters, boils, and abscesses and cause life-threatening staph infections.
- This rare bacteria lives in the mouths of dogs and causes a serious infection in humans. Symptoms include blisters around the bite wound, redness, swelling, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, and confusion.
- This bacteria is found in dog saliva. It can cause redness and inflammation as well as more serious symptoms such as bone infections, arthritis, pneumonia, and sepsis.
- This is when your body overreacts to an infection. Sepsis can cause damage to organs and internal systems and lead to shock. Symptoms include problems with blood clotting, low blood oxygen levels, and low kidney or liver function.
While dog attacks can cause significant physical injuries, they also cause emotional trauma as well. They can especially cause psychological effects on children. Many suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), in which they relive the trauma every time they see a dog. Some develop an intense fear of dogs. Some people even develop agoraphobia, which is a fear of going outside. This is because they are scared of being attacked by a dog while outdoors.
Many victims also develop emotional trauma due to scarring. They may feel self-conscious and embarrassed of their bodies due to the attack and injuries. The mental anguish can last many years.
Contact a Florham Park Dog Bite Attorney
Dog bites can be severe, requiring long-term treatment and even causing disfigurement. If you have been a victim, make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
The Law Offices of Michael P. Burakoff, P.A. has Florham Park dog bite attorneys who will aggressively fight your case. We’ll help you preserve your legal rights. Contact us today at (973) 455-1567 for a free initial case consultation.